VisualVision: professional content publishing software - Web site, self installing or autorun CD DVD, catalog, create and protect ebook, business product catalog, autoplay CD brochure, HTML Help, manual, guide, reference, database import CSV

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 23rd, 2017, 3:36pm

(this forum has a copy - slightly different and recommended for EWE, click here)
Français * - Español * - Italiano
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal) « Vvideos stick or don't show picture »

advanced search Search for:  
Advanced search...

Max results:

Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal)
   Our Products
   CDFrontEnd PRO

Vvideos stick or don't show picture
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply, or ask/add more Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Vvideos stick or don't show picture  (Read 1703 times)
cathysue

YaBB Newbie

WWW Email

Vvideos stick or don't show picture
« on: Sep 4th, 2003, 10:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I made a teaching CD-ROM with mpeg videos in windows (at 320X240; their original size) with controls.  when you try to play them, the audio will come through, but the video won't show, unless you scroll the screen a little, and then sometimes it still is black.  

Is there a cure, or is this just not a real capability of this program?

Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

Re: Vvideos stick or don't show picture
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18th, 2003, 4:01am »

Please check the Windows Media Player settings and install a patch if needed.
You might want to place the video on a second page too (try to put a cover page first and to use the slides function to pass to the second page), this might help.

This problem has been reported by another guy too, and and seems related to some optimization in the video drivers on some machines (not just XP), maybe the 1% or less. The solution is to try to refresh the page in
same way (the slides function is a way; you found the manual scrolling being another way ).
We are trying to find some automatic workaround.
Cathy Britell

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 8:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I found my own solution to the sticking video problem.  I put the videos into a table.  This gives them a nice frame, and they then seem very stable.  

Thanks for your help!  

Cathy
Tim Edgren

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 10th, 2003, 4:01pm »

I also have found that embedding the video into a table seems to help, but (sadly) not always.  I have encountered particular difficulty with WMV files running internally (can't really run them as an external link, since few of my customers have a WMV-capable version of Media Player).  

It is baffling -- the presentation displays nicely on two of my machines, but not on a third -- all three WinXP Home operating systems.  The machine that won't display properly has an ATI All-in-Wonder video card which is usually much more capable than the other two machines.
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21st, 2003, 10:23am »

There's a setting that might help.
In the temporary folder (the one you fill when you use the File >Create CD etc and that contains the temporary copy of the CD), search for the file autorun.inf
Then open it with the MSWindows Notepad (Start | Programs | Accessories) and add this line at the bottom:

mediamode=1

You can as well experiment with mediamode=2 (and 3,4,5... etc).
Clive Scarff

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 3:10pm »

I had the same problem with video sticking.  My solution, although not my first preference, was to have the video open in a separate 400x400 window, which the user then had to scroll down in order to see/play the video (like you I found scrolling to somehow "waken" the video).  However, while this works on some computers, on one of my customers' computers, a Toshiba Satellite with PentiumII, the video does not appear at all - no black box, nothing.  Still looking for a solution...
Clive
Clive Scarff

Email

Re: Videos stick or don't show picture
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 3:44pm »

Update:  I tried the above suggestion of putting the video inside a table and that DID solve the need to scroll to make video run - on my computer - but still did NOT work on my customer's computer at all.
Cathy Britell

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 7:31pm »

This is a problem that could be fatal (or really expensive and time-consuming, dealing with complaints, refunds, etc.  I ended up just doing my first CD-ROM as HTML and telling people to run it in IE with Media player; putting navigation buttons on each page.  So far, I haven't had any problems with the first 50 or so I've sold.    

I'd really like to use CDFE, as it's so much cleaner; but since my next CD-ROM is almost all video, I think I'm going to stick with old clunky HTML.    

If anyone gets a fix that works on all Windows machines, please let me know.

Cathy
cathy@larkpoint.com
Clive Scarff

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29th, 2003, 12:13am »

I will certainly let you know if I discover anything.  I too am selling cd's containing video... on the golf swing.  I tried the html route, but abandoned it thinking this way would be more reliable!  I am a little unsure of how to proceed...

Clive
Clive Scarff

Email

Re: Videos stick or don't show picture
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30th, 2003, 1:55pm »

A further update.  Yet another customer of mine has not been able to open/run the video in my FrontEnd CD.  

I am experimenting with offering an additional link to an external file, which I will include in a folder named "video" in the hopes that the user's default player (e.g. Media Player) will then recognize and run the video file.  Anyone else tried this?  Any success?

Clive
Jeremy G.

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 31st, 2003, 8:19am »

My CD works, maybe 'cause I'm always using 100% size for videos (also within popups).

However - just in case - I have added a "direct link" option (I created a folder "video" on the CD and I am using the run: feature), I see it works and should be fine (I've found that if the file works within the MediaPlayer it works within the Cdfrontend CD too and viceversa).

J.
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 4:03pm »

These problems should have been fixed with version 3.8.
Please email support@visualvision.com
ezthinkr
YaBB Junior Member

I love Visual Vision!

« Reply #12 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 8:28am »

This table approach may fit my situation. Did you use a percentage or a fixed width for the table size to contain the video? (I already know that viewers of this CD have different screen resolutions.)

It may solve the request if I used a table for the introduction video with skip buttons and links beneath the table when viewers want to omit it and proceed. This solution would be then in one page rather than in framed pages. I'm going to try it expecting it to work.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply, or ask/add more Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

VisualVision main Web site
   Easy software tools from Visual Vision:

Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal) » Powered YaBB 1 Gold - SP1!
YaBB © 2000-2001, XNull. All Rights Reserved.
This forum © 2001-2008 VisualVision and VisualVision Users