VisualVision: professional content publishing software - Web site, self installing or autorun CD DVD, catalog, create and protect ebook, business product catalog, autoplay CD brochure, HTML Help, manual, guide, reference, database import CSV

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 26th, 2017, 8:51am

(this forum has a copy - slightly different and recommended for EWE, click here)
Français * - Español * - Italiano
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal) « Save As not saving the files »

advanced search Search for:  
Advanced search...

Max results:

Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal)
   Our Products
   CDFrontEnd PRO

Save As not saving the files
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply, or ask/add more Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Save As not saving the files  (Read 1110 times)
ezthinkr
YaBB Junior Member

I love Visual Vision!

Save As not saving the files
« on: Nov 28th, 2007, 3:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My external links to Save As files look like they should work, and they appear to work when I test a CD, but the files do not appear where I said to save them. No error messages either after I select the location and reply to the prompt.

I will have several hundred of these in tables for architects to save drawing files, so I need to solve this before repeating whatever is happening.  

I'm using CDFE Gold on WindowsXP.

Ideas?

Thanks.
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

Re: Save As not saving the files
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 4:21pm »

is the link syntax correct?

e.g. in case you are using external links, and you use

save:mickey.pdf

then the file  
mickey.pdf must be within the root folder (main space) of the CD, otherwise the link won't work...
ezthinkr
YaBB Junior Member

I love Visual Vision!

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 5:03pm »

The syntax looks OK.  

I have all drawings in a DRAWINGS directory beneath CD root, and I made copies of a few files to the main root location to eliminate the directory being a factor.

Here are links that I have tested:

save:DRAWINGS\ARTOS_GA_26006-0.dwg
save:ARTOS_GA_26006-0.dwg

If I make the link without a "save:" prefix, the action starts AutoCAD and opens the file, which is what I would expect.

This is goofy.

****notice****
SUPPORT wants to add this: the syntax without the "save:" prefix is not correct. To run the file, the "save:" prefix should be replaced with the "run:" prefix. The behavior without any prefix is not guaranteed.
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2007, 4:31pm by Support Staff » Logged
ezthinkr
YaBB Junior Member

I love Visual Vision!

« Reply #3 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 5:36pm »

I think I see the problem. Someone does not like the underscore in a file name. I use it a lot from my UNIX programming days.  

It looks like I've got a lot of renaming to do.

BTW - In future versions of CDFE, could you folks add some error checking that might warn folks like me about this? You've got a good product, I like it and I realize tat you can't have it do everything for everyone.

Later -
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 6:25pm »

....hum very strange, it should work also with underscores within file names. While it could have problems with spaces within file names (you should never use spaces within file names).

Just to be paranoic I did a test and I was able to  
save a file linked with the syntax
save:mydir\copy_of_readme.txt

By the way, this post could be an interesting place to say that the powerful syntax
run:DRAWINGS

for Insert >Link >3rd tab (you know we are speaking about this but other readers here might not know) does open the MSWindows File Explorer showing the folder "DRAWINGS" of the CD opened.
This may be useful sometimes.
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2007, 6:25pm by Support Staff » Logged
ezthinkr
YaBB Junior Member

I love Visual Vision!

« Reply #5 on: Nov 29th, 2007, 12:36pm »

When testing my product CD, the Save As links would save only one file until I ejected and re-started the CD and could save the next file. I was forcing full screen so I could not see what was happening in the background.

Now, having trimmed the whole project to 2-pages for testing this, I see an Explorer popup prompt for the location of brochure.aeh. This may be the cause of the inaction from more than the first save link - it was waiting for a reply to the prompt. It just seemed that the screen was frozen.

The name of this trimmed project is ProductCD.aeh and the file exists in the CD root.

I also see history links in the top toolbar with these values:
iper://brochure.aeh|1
iper://brochure.aeh|0
iper://brochure.aeh|2
iper://brochure.aeh|1 and so on.

Why is it looking for brochure.aeh? What is this file? Must the CD have this label?  

I want the architect to be able to select and click links and save one file after another as easily as possible.

Thanks.

Im using CDFE Gold on Windows XP.
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 29th, 2007, 2:59pm »

brochure.aeh is the standard brochure file name on the CD and what in the hystory box is the internal notation the program uses for its own pages. We suggest to hide this box.

sometimes MSWindows shows the "Save as..." dialog under the current window - this seldom happens because I have already seen this in my life, but should be rare. When everything seems frozen, with ALT + TAB you can span MSWindows applications then MS Windows shows that dialog. Or you can use ESC and retry. This should not happen, however.
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 29th, 2007, 4:26pm »

If this persists, please contact support by email (include your order number + full name) so we may send you something to better test.

Hummmm my guessing is that maybe within the links you inserted one link without the run: or save: prefix, this could toggle unpredictable behavior...

Make sure to double check all links.
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2007, 4:56pm by Support Staff » Logged
ezthinkr
YaBB Junior Member

I love Visual Vision!

« Reply #8 on: Nov 30th, 2007, 2:37am »

I'll send you an email after I get some sleep. In the meantine, here's what's going on:

This has become serious. It relates to a Save As post that I started. I've tested this on multiple PCs with Windows XP.

My CD has several pages and types of links. After startup, I go to a page with several links to Save As external files. The first one works after I specify a destination on the C: drive. But after the first save, none work properly even though they appear to. The destination location is remembered in the prompt popup but files are not really saved there. Even when I try the same link that worked, the popup closes without warning me that the file already exists. Syntax looks OK. This ability to only save one file is true even with a 1-page vanilla project with 3 test links on it.

Here's another one with the same project...

Upon startup, external links to PDF files work fine and I can maneuver among the pages until I get to the page with the Save As links and save the first file to a destination on the C: drive.
After that, whenever I try to follow a link to another page, a popup shows to "Browse for Folder - Please insert CD/DVD with label: brochure". If I select the CD drive and click OK, it closes and all seems well until I link to another page when it reappears.  
If I Cancel or Close the Browse prompt, I get a "Warning! File not found: brochure.aeh". The display remains intact.
It's like after the first Save As to the location on C:, the hypertext has lost track of the CD drive and needs to be reminded - or thinks it does.

Both of these issues seem related. I can save a second file, then a third... by exiting and reloading the CD for each one, but I can't expect a user who needs to save a bunch of the files to have that much patience.  

I'm using CDFE Gold 2006.16.204.193 on Windows XP
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 30th, 2007, 6:48am »

are you really really sure that all your external links do use the syntax save: or run: (lowercase)?

the path dialog you are referring to is shown only when you put (maybe by mistake) a link to another hypertext (or to something that the program thinks is another hypertext, basing on your syntax, e.g. a link without save: or run: may cause this), so the program is trying to switch to another document / presentation. This is a non common use, but it is permitted to users that know what they are doing.

please contact us by email so you may send us the AEH files and we can take a look at what you are doing.
ezthinkr
YaBB Junior Member

I love Visual Vision!

« Reply #10 on: Nov 30th, 2007, 11:21am »

I just sent email with a trimmed version of the project. The whole project aeh file is too big for the mails, so I trimmed it to 4-pages. The trimmed version exibits the same problems as the whole project.

Thank you very much for your help and I look forward to learning what's happening.
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 1st, 2007, 9:17am »

P.S. just to be paranoid (even if our normal tests are intensive), here at support we did several tests just after your first post (with the last edition as we don't have a copy of your precise sub-release). We created a simple project with 3 files (text and images), with the correct syntax and we tried to save them dozens of times. Everything works without problems.
As said, forward us by email an example that is not working and we will test. We may also send you our samples so we may detect if it is your edition that has a bug. Etc. It is a rare event, but it could happen, and the fact nobody else found this particular bug may just mean that this sub-edition has been out for just one day or even less time.
In case your particular edition has a bug we will replace the needed files and we will make sure you will be ok, so do not panic .
The email is:
info at visualvision.com

I see you say you sent an email but I am unable to find it in the main email archive. Maybe you should try to send 2 emails, one with the project and the other one without attachs, just plain text with the instructions (how to see the error), so there will be better chances at least one email comes to us. As you can guess we receive thousands spam email per day so we have filters in place.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2007, 9:20am by Support Staff » Logged
ezthinkr
YaBB Junior Member

I love Visual Vision!

« Reply #12 on: Dec 4th, 2007, 8:32am »

Thank you for the replacement code. This issue is solved.  

Feel welcome to trim down this post.  

I love your suggestion about using the syntax run:FolderName to open Windows Explorer and let the user make multiple selections from files on the CD. I use that technique now rather than linking every piece of text.  

Great support!
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 4th, 2007, 9:16am »

Thank you.
I deleted a couple of posts that were basically duplicates, but I think it is a good idea to not delete this thread as maybe somebody else got your same edition that has a bug (small but we must admit it was actually a bug) in the save: feature.

Even if only one people, it would save him/her some time to know that in order to solve this problem, he/she will just need to replace one small file that we will send quickly by email .

Anybody that is experiencing this issue must just write to info at visualvision.com with his/her order number and/or full name and postal address.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply, or ask/add more Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

VisualVision main Web site
   Easy software tools from Visual Vision:

Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal) » Powered YaBB 1 Gold - SP1!
YaBB © 2000-2001, XNull. All Rights Reserved.
This forum © 2001-2008 VisualVision and VisualVision Users