VisualVision: professional content publishing software - Web site, self installing or autorun CD DVD, catalog, create and protect ebook, business product catalog, autoplay CD brochure, HTML Help, manual, guide, reference, database import CSV

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 23rd, 2017, 8:42am

(this forum has a copy - slightly different and recommended for EWE, click here)
Français * - Español * - Italiano
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal) « Individual passwords custom password for each user »

advanced search Search for:  
Advanced search...

Max results:

Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal)
   Our Products
   EBooksWriter

Individual passwords custom password for each user
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply, or ask/add more Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Individual passwords custom password for each user  (Read 5287 times)
Bookboy2003

Email

Individual passwords custom password for each user
« on: Aug 19th, 2003, 2:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am a complete newbie both to V.V. and to ebook publishing, but I had a process question:

In the new version of the software, if I want to set up individual passwords for individual readers, how does that process now work?

Do I need to know the person's name and password BEFORE they receive the title, or will this information be sent once they check in for the first time?

what I'd LIKE to do is set up a title for sale, with the whole ebook password-protected. Do I need to send a general password once they pay, so they can log in the first time?

does the software then allow for individual, on-the-fly passwords after that, or would I need to kick out an individual copy to them?

Also, is there a limit to how many people can have individual IDs/passwords per title? I ready everything I could get my hands on but still am unclear about the process...

sorry for all the newbie questions. If this works out, I can really spread the word on this software among my other online biz friends...r
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2009, 11:28am by Support Staff » Logged
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

Re: Individual passwords?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21st, 2003, 6:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Actually, if you take a look to the other posts here and/or you read the PDF manual and/or the Tutorials (hit F1 into the LITE edition) you will see that we already replied to your questions.

However...

In short, with EBooksWriter you can create password-protected ebooks.  

The same ebook (same file) can have different passwords for different users (any user have to enter his name email and personal password, and they must match).

So you can give the same ebook to all users, then when you have name/email of the user#1 you can calculate on-the-fly (in the Password dialog) its own password(s)#1, for the user#2 the pass #2 etc.

There aren't limits. You can sell/distribute infinite copies to infinite different users.

The ebook is the same; each different user has his/her own pass. This is called "custom password for each user", we say more below in this topic.
We recommend also reading the PDF manual - it is concise and you would save a lot of time.

More:
- less protection: the program also allows you to set up only a single password, identical for all users (this can be sufficient if the ebook file is delivered only after the purchase, for example through a credit card service such as www.swreg.org )
- more protection for ultra paranoics:  
www.ebookswriter.com/virtualvault/

- another feature is that you can assign different passwords to different group of pages (e.g. a catalog; say page 1 to 10 for everybody with no password, page 11 to 20 for the resellers and the password is mickey, page 21 to 100 for a selected public and the password is goofy). Max 127 groups are allowed.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2009, 12:03pm by Support Staff » Logged
Justus

Email

Re: more about custom password for each user
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 1:33pm »

I guess I don't realy understand the password function for multiple users passwords.
When I customize a password, do I have to create another file; or are all the passwords for the file contained in that file.

example:
passowrd 1111
alex xxxx wxyz@gmail.com  
password 2222
able yyyy aavwxy@yahoo.com

« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2007, 1:34pm by Support Staff » Logged
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

Re: more about custom password for each user
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 1:36pm »

No for both questions.
- You do not have to create a separate file for each user: the file is always the same for all the users, and the file KNOWS all possible password, not just the passwords for 3 or 10 or 1000 users, it knows the passwords for all possible users (just as well as you can calculate passwords for infinite users with Hypertext >Passwords).  

- The ebook file does not contain the passwords (hey, otherwise the protection would be weak, really!)

The point is that it is the program that decides the various passwords (with an intelligent encoding algorithm), not you (so you don't have to communicate the passwords to the program, nor the program has to save them).  

You just decide the "author" password that acts as a "seed" for creating all the other passwords.  

The ebook file knows a way to verify the passwords, for present and future users (it does not actually know a password, but, given John Kenney abc@yahoo.com and the pass HSYWTE it can verify if it is right or not.

You can calcuate infinite password for any user. You can calculate passwords at any time, even when the ebook is finished and closed. The ebook can be mass replicated / distributed (identical for everybody) and you can always "add" users.

---
As nobody reads the manual:  
How the "custom password for each user" works, with example.

With this option, you define (say) one author password (say "mickey") and this is used as "seed" to calculate end users passwords.
These passwords are infinite and are obtained by calculation. These passwords are not memorized and so can not be "removed".

We show an example within the manual. And at:
http://www.ebookswriter.com/create_ebook_000003.htm

Within this example, we set as author password (the seed) "mickey".
Then we calculate the password for the user
JOHN SMITH john@visualvision.com

The password is (see the picture in the page)
WYTRQs

this is the password for this user, and it will always be this one, unless you change the seed (unless you set up a author password different than "mickey").

In other words, the editor contains a password generator algorithm, that uses the seed (mickey or whatever secret author password you will choose) to calculate the password for any user.
This password for a given user can be calculated also after the ebook has been finalized.
The ebook contains a reverse algorithm, that asks to the end user name + email + password, match the data (with a reverse algorithm), and if the match is correct then it decodes the content and make it available to the end user.

It is a very sophisticated tecnique: the ebook does not contain passwords so it can't be "cracked", the reverse algorithm permits you to see the ebook only if you have the proper password (if I am John Smith with that email, I can open the ebook in the example only with the password WYTRQs )

In conclusion, you can generate infinite passwords. You can generate them after you have finished the ebook (just open the AEH work file used for creating the ebook and use the Hypertext >Password).
The only important thing for the passwords is the author password (the seed).
The ebook does not memorize the password for each user (as the users are infinite).

---
Some other useful topics with info/questions about passwords:

why (it seems) it doesn't aks password(s)?

how to disable the password feature for first page; and the "read only" password feature that you can use to disable editing even if the end user owns Ebookswriter

This one is actually about CDFrontEnd (that uses the same password system of EBW)
preload passwords, precalculate a group of passwords without knowing the end user data in advance??

http://www.paperinik.com/cgi-bin/eng/YaBB.pl?board=EBW;action=display;nu m=1031948718
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2009, 12:49pm by Support Staff » Logged
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

Re: multiple and automatic password generation
« Reply #4 on: Sep 4th, 2009, 11:31am »

When you have to generate a lot of passwords, you may find useful the “Mass generation” button. It takes in input a file with the format (each line):  
john;smith;jo@smi.com  
it outputs a file (each line):  
john;smith;jo@smi.com;WyJh3  

With the Gold edition (last version; old versions do not include this feature) you may also use this mass generation by calling EBW command line with these parameters:  
/mass seed inputfile outputfile

(where seed is the author password, also called seed)
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2009, 12:51pm by Support Staff » Logged
Halley

Email

Re: Individual passwords custom password f each us
« Reply #5 on: Sep 4th, 2009, 11:33am »

Ok I managed to learn how "custom passwords for each user" works, there is a good example within the PDF manual.

But, my customer would have to enter its specifically assigned password(s) EACH time he/she click on the .exe file?
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

Re: Individual passwords custom password for each
« Reply #6 on: Sep 4th, 2009, 12:13pm »

The password is asked the first time they enter a password protected page.

Then by default it is memorized on the end user PC (unless you disable this feature in the Hypertext > Current hypertext options, Reader / Show options tab,  "don't store password(s)").

When they click on the exe, normally it shows the first page/ "cover page" - and we do strongly suggest to not protect the cover page with a password (remember that you can choose individually, page by page, what to protect and what not; also you can assign different passwords to different group of pages); this way, also the first time, they will see at least the cover page so they will be able at least to understand
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15th, 2012, 2:51pm »

I'd want to mention a new feature of the GOLD edition.

At start (when the ebook is opened the first time), the ebook can ask username and email (ok, this is will be always asked for ebooks protected with "custom password for each user) and can SEND these data by email to to a Perl or PHP script on your server.

For more info about this, you may want to read this topic:

how to obtain that the ebook "calls home" and tell you user name, email, IP and...

« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2012, 2:52pm by Support Staff » Logged
Bill Park

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 15th, 2012, 2:59pm »

what if the user inserts a fake name when the ebook asks his/her data?
Bill Park

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 15th, 2012, 3:02pm »

(1) I advertise on my website I have an ebook to do such and such
(2) they can download ( I think ) a copy with part of it viewable for free
(3) they like it, and a payment gets sent to paypal
(4) they contact me then, wanting a password emailed to them
(5) I am guessing that in truth I do not know what name they have put onto the ebook as a "user name" ...
(6) but ... since I am going to create a password involving in some way the letters of their user name ... if I understand right ... THEN,  if they have put some trick name like "John Obama" onto the ebook but tell me (payment) the user name is "John Wilson" ... then ... if I understand right, the password I generate will NOT open their ebook with the user
 name on it of "John Obama" and they will be stuck ... and either NOT  use the book or contact me and confess that they have put a trick name on it
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 16th, 2012, 4:32am »

Yes.
Actually:

- Either they are smart and will find the menu "reset user data", this will allow them to replace the trick name (e.g. John Obama that they will find it will not work) with the real name (e.g. John Wilson) and they will see the ebook magically works.

- Or they will contact you with something like "the password does not work" and you will tell them "have you inserted correctly your name John Wilson? If not please use the 'Reset user data' menu, that's under "?" or available with a right-side mouse click, in order to put your correct name" (this way you will be a gentlemen and you will not tell them you know they have put a trick name )

[by the way it is possible either to distribute a ebook with some page free, some protected; or some customer do distribute 2 separate ebooks: a sample limited and not protected; full edition protected]
important

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 17th, 2014, 9:56am »

it is important to notice that the author password(s) (seed password) must not contain spaces; in some versions the software does not enforce this.

(you will notice this also by the fact that the customer password will have less symbols that the author/seed password)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply, or ask/add more Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

VisualVision main Web site
   Easy software tools from Visual Vision:

Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal) » Powered YaBB 1 Gold - SP1!
YaBB © 2000-2001, XNull. All Rights Reserved.
This forum © 2001-2008 VisualVision and VisualVision Users