VisualVision: professional content publishing software - Web site, self installing or autorun CD DVD, catalog, create and protect ebook, business product catalog, autoplay CD brochure, HTML Help, manual, guide, reference, database import CSV

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 17th, 2017, 2:45pm

(this forum has a copy - slightly different and recommended for EWE, click here)
Français * - Español * - Italiano
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal) « Footnotes »

advanced search Search for:  
Advanced search...

Max results:

Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal)
   Our Products
   EBooksWriter

Footnotes
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply, or ask/add more Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Footnotes  (Read 1725 times)
N-G Nilsson

Email

Footnotes
« on: Mar 30th, 2004, 2:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

How do I create footnotes in a simple way?
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

Re: Footnotes
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31st, 2004, 5:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Manually: write a footnote on the page bottom, then insert an anchor (SHIFT + F5). Then go up within the text and place the number (1,2 or whatever) as superscript (select it then Format >Superscript), then place a Special link (select it the Insert >Special link or F5), first tab, just go down within the preview and click the anchor.

With the very last edition, you can use "Insert >Annotation" and the ebook reader / end user may see (if you enable this) your annotation as a little notebook icon, when the mouse is over the icon the annotation is shown. Just try by yourself. Very fancy
Stephen Sakellarios

Email

Re: Footnotes
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13th, 2012, 1:44pm »

I am trying to keep my book traditional and simple to start with, so I want traditional footnotes with a superscripted footnote number and the footnotes at the end of the chapter. I'm sure that in future revisions I'll take advantage of ebook features, when I'm sure they all translate to epub and Kindle readers.

When I create a superscripted footnote, and then choose "normal" for the rest of the text in the paragraph, the next automatically wrapped line jams up into the previous line. In other words, after it wraps, it's *still superscripted* until it wraps again. Then it goes back to "normal". I have a sort of work-around, which isn't acceptable to me--I can put all the text in subscript, then use "normal" to superscript. But that requires I put the entire book in two points of leading (12 over 14), to give enough room, which is going to make a book that's already 450 pages more like 700 pages--no good.

All I want is to superscript a footnote, return to normal, and have the rest of the paragraph be normal. Is this impossible in this software? What am I missing?

Thanks,
Steve S.
gerry

Email

Re: Format Superscript Format Subscript
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13th, 2012, 2:58pm »

Hi!  
Don't know what you are doing.
If I highlight a note (e.g. the number 2) then apply "Format >Superscript", then the superscript is applied to this text only.
If you press the carriage return, then you go to another paragraph that will have the Style you choose it to have (from the Styles list).
By the way you can not define or use a sort of "Superscript" Style, as a Style affect the whole paragraph, and a note is usually only a small number so there is no reason to use a style there.

Of course when you add a Superscript or Subscript (with the Format menu), you affect the vertical line spacing for the line where the note is, e.g. the spacing changes (it augments in order to fit the note). Usually you also hightlight the number (say 2) and apply a smaller font.

By the way when in the Kindle (e.g. exported to MOBI) it shows slightly differently - by the way nothing that you can control, the Kindle does what it want, point.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply, or ask/add more Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

VisualVision main Web site
   Easy software tools from Visual Vision:

Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal) » Powered YaBB 1 Gold - SP1!
YaBB © 2000-2001, XNull. All Rights Reserved.
This forum © 2001-2008 VisualVision and VisualVision Users