VisualVision: professional content publishing software - Web site, self installing or autorun CD DVD, catalog, create and protect ebook, business product catalog, autoplay CD brochure, HTML Help, manual, guide, reference, database import CSV

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 26th, 2017, 12:58pm

(this forum has a copy - slightly different and recommended for EWE, click here)
Français * - Español * - Italiano
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal) « Mac, Pocket PC, Palm, Blackberry, Kindle, iPhone.. »

advanced search Search for:  
Advanced search...

Max results:

Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal)
   Our Products
   EBooksWriter

Mac, Pocket PC, Palm, Blackberry, Kindle, iPhone..
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply, or ask/add more Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mac, Pocket PC, Palm, Blackberry, Kindle, iPhone..  (Read 3357 times)
Tosha

Email

Mac, Pocket PC, Palm, Blackberry, Kindle, iPhone..
« on: Jun 9th, 2007, 9:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

(support: this question was originarily on Mac but I am adding here a new question that fits well and increases the scope)

I'm considering your software for my ebook.

Your website is very informative. There's a great deal of material to sift through. But what I've been looking for and haven't found yet is something that gives me an idea of what platforms and devices ebooks created using your software can display on. I'm completely new to ebooks and the various options available for publishing. But I've been reading about Ereader and Mobipocket and something about the formats used for creating ebooks like PDF or HTML.

What I'm particularly interested in knowing is whether an ebook created using your software is compatible with the EREADER software and could then be displayed on the wide variety of platforms and devices EREADER can be installed on. For example:

Kindle
The Sony Reader
Iphone and Itouch
Backberries and other similar devices
Palm PCs
Windows desk and laptops
Mac desk and laptops

So, which platforms and devices above will properly display an ebook created with your software, will the EREADER software (or MOBIPOCKET) be able to make use of it, and what would I need to do once I've created my ebook to get this kind of range of display possibilities?
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2009, 7:52pm by Support Staff » Logged
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

Re: Is Ebooks Writer Mac compatible
« Reply #1 on: Jun 9th, 2007, 10:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A native ebook created by EBooksWriter, e.g. a AEH or a EXE ebook, can be read on a PC / Windows, and also on a Mac provided it has a PC emulator software installed (most new Macs have; in any case there are inexpensive or free emulators, easy to install).

Till now, EBooksWriter can not (not yet) save in other ebook formats DIRECTLY: this is because these formats includes very limited capabilities, and weak protections. EBW supplies 6000+ features, and a strong protection (also against printing, if needed).

By the way you can bypass this limit: you save the ebook as HTML, then on the net there are utilites that converts HTML to PDB EPUB MOBI (all these formats are related to the OPF standard so we will call them OPF ebooks). So you can already reach these formats indirectly with your EBooksWriter.

Remember that in any case only a subset of the features of your EBW ebook will be correctly transferred to a OPF-like device (Palm, Mobi, Epub: the most common ebook format, readable on small stuff such as Palm OS, Pocket PC, Handheld PC, Windows CE and of course also on Windows PC and Macintosh) - at least with the current state of the OPF technology... they are new devices and so hopefully they will improve...

Of course your needs are common, so we are working to add the OPF export directly to EBooksWriter. The idea is to add an export option that will be ok also with the old EBooksWriter work files, so for all ebooks already created with EBW, past and current edition. So old and current users won't have to redo their works, and there will be no effort. Just another option added to the "File >Save other formats / Export pages" menu.

At present we can not provide a timeline; this task is not easy as these ebook format are really LIMITED and includes tons of CONSTRAINTS.

And remember that, right now, most people that will read and actually *buy* an ebook will do this through a PC (maybe a small notebook or a netbook) or a Mac. That do not have the severe constraints and limitations that handhelds stuff have.
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2009, 7:57pm by Support Staff » Logged
harmony

Email

Re: Mac Pocket PC Palm Blackberry Kindle iPhone
« Reply #2 on: Sep 1st, 2009, 2:22pm »

1.  If I use your ebook writer features to create a file and then convert it to HTML using your Hyperlink software will basic features created with your software are retained in the HTML? The features I need are basic. Like formatting of text (underline, font size etc), the placement of jpgs in the book, and links from a Table Of Contents to any page in the book. Will all those be converted to HTML?

2. What will I have to do to protect the HTML ebook?  I'm assuming ebook writers's security features only work within its native format.

3. What you mean when you say the HTML will display in most devices. I'm new to this. What do I have to do to the HTML file that was created with a combination of ebookwriter and hyperling in order to deliver it all of these different handheld devices?

4. And last and maybe most important - - once I have the HTML converted from your ebookwriter software can that be used by a third party software into an Ereader or epub fomat?  I understand you're not offering this option right now. But can I take the HTML I've created with your softwares into another software and make those conversions?
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2009, 7:59pm by Support Staff » Logged
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

Re: Mac, Pocket PC, Palm, Blackberry, etc
« Reply #3 on: Sep 1st, 2009, 2:56pm »

1)  
The conversion is perfect.
The problem is the conversion HTML -> other ebook format.
The formats nowadays used on handhelds are OPF-based formats (Pdb Mobi EPub etc), and they only support a subset of HTML, and have high constraints (they do not support Styles; the font is decided by the end user and not you; the size of the images is limited; clickable areas/hot spots are not supported; etc)

2)
EbooksWriter internal strong protections apply only to native ebooks (AEH EXE).

However, on the top of some of the OPF-based formats you can add DRM protections (Digital Right Management) that can be linked to an ecommerce. This is a thing you can add in a second step, and there are ecommerce vendors that provides this addition in an integrated way. These protections are generally less robust than EBW ones.

3,4) yes there is software that can convert from HTML to Pdb, Mobi and Epub
Additionally, some portable devices can display HTML natively (without conversion) and sometimes this way the output is better (they have less limitations than the mobi, epub)
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2009, 1:28pm by Support Staff » Logged
Graham

Email

Re: Mac, Pocket PC, Palm, Blackberry, Kindle, iPho
« Reply #4 on: Oct 14th, 2009, 1:18pm »

I need security working on ebooks being downloaded onto Smart Phones.  
One site that makes big promises on this subject is Mobipocket.com. The main problem with them is that I would have to sell my ebook using their site, and not mine.
I am unable to find a security package that will work on my site (for my Smart Phone customers), can EBW do this?
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

Re: Mac, Pocket PC, Palm, Blackberry, Kindle, iPho
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14th, 2009, 1:28pm »

First of all, it is useful to update this topic. EbooksWriter from version 2010 is able to create both exe aeh and now mobi, epub and opf ebooks.

So now you can create ebooks also for small devices such as the iPhone and popular ebook readers such as the Kindle. As you may guess, we have not materially tested all the devices, it is impossible, but we do produce a compliant file that can be tested on "emulators" that are supposed to reproduce the "real-life" behavior - so you can reasonably rest assured that the ebook files work on all phones/handhelds that carry on a industry standard compliant reader software.

Now the reply to your question. Small devices such as smart phones (iPhone etc.) use the .mobi and .epub formats, this is the current development trend. At present the protections for these formats are supplied (added to the file) only by amazon (mobi / mobipocket) and adobe (epub) and/or ecommerce providers and this may  
involve a ecommerce contract; additionally they are not 100% secure, but approx they work, and at present this is all what is available.

The internal EBooksWriter protections are active on .exe file only - because of the constraints of these other formats - not our will.

Basically: the exe is for Windows that is a stable system. The other system are still evolving - but it seems that the popular ebook formats will be epub / mobi - while the protection techniques for them are still not precisely defined.  

With EBooksWriter you can produce these ebooks,  
and then you can decide to protect them with the protection technique that better fits your needs (and maybe change this protection after some months should a better thing will be available, "better" as more secure, or "better" as it better interfaces with the ecommerce, or so).

For mobipocket EBooksWriter can produce mobi ebooks (it automatically calls the mobipocket mobigen.exe compiler; for the protection you will add some configuration parameters within EBW, or you will externally use the mobipocket tools on the OPF/HTML files produced by EBooksWriter) and yes if you want the mobipocket protection, you need to sell with them.

As protections are usually added on the top of mobi and epub "non protected" ebooks, with EbooksWriter you are open for the current protections, and you are potentially open to new protection standards, when they will become available.

But yes at present I believe the only way to protect a mobi is to sell it with the guys at mobipocket.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply, or ask/add more Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

VisualVision main Web site
   Easy software tools from Visual Vision:

Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal) » Powered YaBB 1 Gold - SP1!
YaBB © 2000-2001, XNull. All Rights Reserved.
This forum © 2001-2008 VisualVision and VisualVision Users