VisualVision: professional content publishing software - Web site, self installing or autorun CD DVD, catalog, create and protect ebook, business product catalog, autoplay CD brochure, HTML Help, manual, guide, reference, database import CSV

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 23rd, 2017, 8:41am

(this forum has a copy - slightly different and recommended for EWE, click here)
Français * - Español * - Italiano
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal) « exe, aeh, mobi, epub, opf oeb idpf »

advanced search Search for:  
Advanced search...

Max results:

Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal)
   Our Products
   EBooksWriter

exe, aeh, mobi, epub, opf oeb idpf
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply, or ask/add more Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: exe, aeh, mobi, epub, opf oeb idpf  (Read 16553 times)
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

exe, aeh, mobi, epub, opf oeb idpf
« on: Oct 14th, 2009, 1:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This has already been published on the www.ebookswriter.com web site, however it is always useful to announce also here that the new Ebookswriter 2010 can save also to mobipocket MOBI and adobe digital editions EPUB, and also in OPF / OEB / IDPF (Open Packaging Format, OPS Open Publication Structure / OEB OEBPS standard)

this way, with only one tool, you can continue to reach the PC world (with self-installing EXE ebooks, or AEH ebooks) and with mobi and epub also Macintosh, Palm, Pocket PC, Windows Mobile / CE, SymbianOS, iLiad, eBookMan, Kindle, Blackberry, iPhone, Mac OS X, Sony Reader, Handheld PC, Hanlin, Bookeen Cybook, Mentor, Irex, Lbook, Neolux Nuut, Astak EZ Reader, BeBook, COOL-ER and several new cell phones / smartphones

if you have old ebooks, and you upgrade to EBooksWriter 2010, they can be automatically saved into the new formats without any effort
graham

Email

Re: exe, aeh, mobi, epub, opf oeb idpf
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23rd, 2009, 2:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have created my ebook then saved it as EXE (self extracting ebook) file on my site for PC users to buy and download.  This works fine.  

Next, I would like to put the proper EBW format on my site for users of other devices, such as Smart Phones.  It appears that I should select your SAVE .mobi. epub  option.   Is this correct?  If Yes, then I have these questions:

1.  Are these separate options (one for the mobi format and another for the epub format)?

2.   I did testing with the Opf Mobi format and got 108 files including a 1 KB opf file.   So I am not sure what to load onto my site.    

Later, I tried the Epub format and it created 108 files, but now I got a 2.7 MB file with an epub extension.  Please help with my confusion.
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 23rd, 2009, 2:46pm »

> Next, I would like to put the proper EBW format on my site for users of other devices, such as Smart Phones.  It appears that I should select your SAVE .mobi. epub  option.   Is this correct?  

Yes

> 1.  Are these separate options (one for the mobi format and another for the epub format)?
> 2.   I did testing with the Opf Mobi format and got 108 files including a 1 KB opf file.   So I am not sure what to load onto my site.    

OPF and Mobi actually are 2 formats.
Mobi is one single file with extension "mobi"

OPF is all the other files (including the OPF one; the OPF is the master file so it commands the format name).

Mobi actually is a "pack" that contains the opf stuffs in a single packet (this is the reason the output is simultaneous: to have the Mobi, the program must generate in any case the scattered opf files; you can delete them all if you use only the .mobi file)

> Later, I tried the Epub format and it created 108 files, but now I got a 2.7 MB file with an epub extension.  Please help with my confusion.  

Actually the epub output normally creates only one .epub file.
Maybe you had some other files from the previous experiment? (or, I must verify from the documentation, also the epub creates some opf files... you can delete them safely).

The .epub file is a single file, just like the .mobi file.

Any other file can be deleted (unless you have some device that can read these scattered OPF files; some smartphones etc etc can read this OPF as alternative to mobi or epub; usually you use exe mobi epub as one single object is more practical/handy)
D Howard

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28th, 2010, 3:42pm »

One thing, you might be able to answer after reading the manual for the fourth time, is which is the best way to save a large novel in eBook format.  
It doesn't really lay out each of the types, and I'm leaning toward .epub, considering it is capable of being used on a variety of equipment and conforming to the particular size of the screen.  It also has all the protection I require.  Does this sound feasible to you, considering I would be linking 26 chapters as separate pages?  I couldn't understand all the types as they kept referring to .AEH as the best way to save the entire document.  

Also, I have not read in the manual as to whether the reader can download the large eBook as is or if they have to have a reader for the various equipment they may have.
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 28th, 2010, 3:52pm »

both aeh/exe, epub and mobi do adapt to the size of the screen (provided that you read the Chapter "Graphics and paging pages" of the PDF manual, and you act accordingly: you must learn a couple of basic rules in order for the pages to adapt - human intelligence is required during the initial design, because if you do certain choices, you can also create pages that do NOT adapt, or do badly adapt)

For your own archive purpose, you must always save as AEH, that is the archive format (it retains all the features available in EBW)

epub and mobi, for their design (there is a standard that we must respect), have less features (example: at present, they do not support audio and video, and popup windows, floating frames, and a lot of other things).
This is not a limit of EBW, it is a limit of these ebook formats.

That said, epub and mobi can be read almost anywhere, cell phones, Mac, PC, iPad, etc. so this is the right choice to reach maximum audience.

But, as there is no effort in this, nobody forbids you to create your ebook in all the available formats (it's just a click, you do not have to develop separate ebooks for each formats, you work on a single source document, then you can output to any ebook format).  
Then you can make available all formats, and the end user gets what he prefers (or what you suggest).
Examples at
www.visualvision.com/download/ebookswriter_e.html (on the left)

As for the last question, when you deploy the ebook as "exe" file, it self-contains the reader software, so the end user needs nothing.

If you distribute a epub or a mobi, the end user needs the proper reader (i.e. Adobe Digital Editions for Mac and PC for epub; or Stanza for mobi and epub on iPhone; or mobipocket for mobi on several smartphones...)
Gail D. Davies-Howard

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 28th, 2010, 4:27pm »

So, if I save in 2 or 3 different file names, for instance I have a book maybe called Go North, then I would save it as GoNorth.AEH, GoNorth.exe and GoNorth.epub.  The reader can then purchase either the .exe or the .epub next to the shopping cart on my website.  

exe doesn't need a reader, but epub does.  Now then, one must explain this on the website to ensure the customer has a reader, or can download it without.  The things you described the .epub can't do is a little hazy.  All those things make a difference and it would be nice to know exactly all the things one should not do to a page in an .epub file.  Where would I find that.  Have I got this correct?
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 28th, 2010, 4:36pm »

For the first thing, yes. You may save the 3 files, and you may even decide to generously supply all 3 to the user.

For the rest, well, the epub and mobi specifications are still evolving, so maybe in the future there will be more features.

at present it is more easy to say what epub/mobi can do:
- text
- images (if you insert big images, make sure to reduce them, and to use Image >Properties, then the Resample button to resample them; some epub/mobi devices do not like large images)
- links
- table of contents/TOC (Hypertext >Predefined page order - TOC)

also, some epub/mobi reader devices may not support all text styles (example, they may render all text as black, or all text as Helvetica; this depends from the device, e.g. a Mac could show exact colors and fonts, a small smartphone may show all black and Times New Roman)
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2010, 4:37pm by Support Staff » Logged
Gail

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 28th, 2010, 5:09pm »

Last thing for today about files.  Epub can also be protected from printing and pasting, as well as downloading only to one device, allowing you to give out passwords, and can have a preset time limit for the reader.  So, if you added those features, there should be no harm in protecting your ebook as a total package as the last step.
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 28th, 2010, 5:25pm »

this is another negative thing about epub mobi (it's not casual that exe/aeh is referred as "better")

epub/mobi protection is actually a sort of monopoly as it can be applied only by a few sellers, example, you can distribute a protected ebook to be read on Adobe Digital Editions if Adobe applies the protection; you can distribute a mobi protected by Amazon if distributed by Amazon

epub protection schemes are applied on the top of your epub file by the ecommerce
Gail

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 28th, 2010, 6:08pm »

And how do I contact ecommerce to protect my ebook the way I want it?  I gather then, each site on which it is published requires me to state the protection I want on the book, unless it's only on my site, which would be protected by ecommerce if I elected them to manage the shopping carts.  If I used .exe, then I could protect it myself.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply, or ask/add more Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

VisualVision main Web site
   Easy software tools from Visual Vision:

Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal) » Powered YaBB 1 Gold - SP1!
YaBB © 2000-2001, XNull. All Rights Reserved.
This forum © 2001-2008 VisualVision and VisualVision Users