VisualVision: professional content publishing software - Web site, self installing or autorun CD DVD, catalog, create and protect ebook, business product catalog, autoplay CD brochure, HTML Help, manual, guide, reference, database import CSV

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 21st, 2017, 2:47am

(this forum has a copy - slightly different and recommended for EWE, click here)
Français * - Español * - Italiano
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal) « links between frames, link to file, import »

advanced search Search for:  
Advanced search...

Max results:

Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal)
   Our Products
   HyperPublish

links between frames, link to file, import
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply, or ask/add more Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: links between frames, link to file, import  (Read 2098 times)
JLDTifft
YaBB Newbie

Email

links between frames, link to file, import
« on: Sep 10th, 2008, 9:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've read the relevant HP manual sections over and over & still cannot make links or anchors that work.  The examples in the manual don't answer any of my puzzlements.  

I am preparing an online reference manual which will be published as a section of an existing web site.  The frameset for the manual has a left side table of contents.  Each item on that list is supposed to open the corresponding text in the right hand main frame, replacing anything else already there.   Here are my questions, worded as specifically as possible:

1.   I gather that the target text must be in the main window in order to set it as a target, and that one creates the Special Link in that text FIRST, then one goes to the Table of Contents, highlights the relevant item, and creates another Special Link, returning to the target text, in each case highlighting the relevant frame for the text display.  So it is a back-and-forth procedure, starting with the target, then adding the pointer, then returning to the target to confirm.  Is that correct?

2.   My manual text is in several *.rtf files in the same directory as the *.aeh file.  Importing a file into the main frame results in only a highlighted title being displayed, not the text itself.  Why?

3.   The only way I can get a file into the frame is by loading it into Word Perfect and doing a copy+paste.   Then I want to do ANOTHER file with a DIFFERENT link from the Table of Contents.  How do I REPLACE the text in the main frame instead of adding it to the existing text at the cursor point?

4.   I would join several files into one PROVIDED I could get anchors to work such that a click on a Table of Contents item would display the text and the place where the anchor has been placed turns up at the TOP of the main frame.  I have not been able to do this.  Apparently one must FIRST insert an anchor in the target text (page 48 in manual), THEN highlight the pointer text & click special link.  When I do this, the OK button is inoperable, however.  Why?

5.  However, if I highlight the target text element next to the anchor I have inserted, THEN click Special Link, the OK button works.  But that is not the pointer, it is the target.  If I insert an anchor next to the Table of Contents item, then highlight that, when I select "target page", the anchor I have placed nor the relevant text does not display in the dialog window.   I have tried all the procedures described on page 48 without success.

Please describe, step by step, with NOTHING left out, how to create an anchor in my main frame text, pointed to by an item in the table of contents frame, such that the main frame text displays ONLY the text below the anchor in the main frame text.

Thank you for your attention.  This has been a major exercise in frustration for me.  I sense the brilliant qualities of HP software, but I am afraid your manual has been more confusing than helpful to me in trying to make links work the way I need them to.

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2008, 6:15am by Support Staff » Logged

JLD Tifft, fine art photographer
http//www.jldtifft.com
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

Re: Procedure for making links between frames
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10th, 2008, 12:19pm »

Hi!  

1) To learn how to create a left menu, hit the F1 key (or use ?-Help) so you will see the help, then click on Tutorials. Everything is explained step by step.  
Please follow the steps.
Please open a new file and try the steps provided or you will not understand. It is very simple but you must actually do it, to explain frames with words is a very long exercise, while to actually do the action is very fast, especially when you realize how simple, effective, and mathematical is the mechanism.
There are two ways. Please try both and use the one you like more; please understand that the one that uses Special Links will show only in "preview" mode.

The target of a link: is not mandatory the target is in the current page, the target can be everywhere.

2) when you import a RTF file, it is automatically divided into multiple pages. Better to copy and paste with the MSWindows clipboard if you want to do different things.

3) I don't understand so much your question, sorry. You may want to reword it. If you mean you want to create another frame/content/page that will replace the main frame, create a new page, then paste the text within that page, then use Special links in order to replace a frame when the user clicks on a link.

4) yes, you must first create the anchor; then when you make the link to the anchor you must
- highlight the text that you want to be clicked (a click on this text will go to the anchor)
- use Insert >Special link
- select (say) the first tab, or the second tab with the anchor option
- then it will show a preview: select the target page AND, in that page, click on the anchor (the cursor will flash)
- then, press OK

5) see 4.  
NOTICE: "such that the main frame text displays ONLY the text below the anchor in the main frame text. " - to be precise, it will display all the text, but it will do so in a way that the (invisible) anchor will be approx at the top of the page

Please another time try to limit yourself to ONE QUESTION a time as there is a limited length for a post so to reply to 5 questions we must be extremely concise.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2008, 4:00pm by Support Staff » Logged
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10th, 2008, 12:22pm »

also, please understand that special links work only in PREVIEW mode.

within the editor, the editor does not respect inter/frames links (otherwise everything will be messed up) and will not go to anchors.

the double click in the editor is intended to quickly go edit the target page / frame, not to preview EXACTLY the links. To perform exact previews for special links, go to the cover page then go in preview mode Hypertext >Read only

Jeanne Tifft

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10th, 2008, 3:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thank you for your efforts, but you have clearly not understood my difficulties.  You explain the obvious, like how to create a left menu, which I have already done and did NOT ask about.  And you did not provide the step-by-step procedure for inserting an anchor into a text pointed to by an item in the left menu, which I DID ask for.  I am disappointed in your technical support.

« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2008, 3:37pm by Support Staff » Logged
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10th, 2008, 3:55pm »

First: this is the ** user's ** forum, this is not the technical support.

Second, we did provide the instructions.  
Please kindly read.

In order to better help you, I repeat them with a number, and by expanding the instructions as maybe they are not sufficiently detailed for you.

Most people will be bored with this and if we do reply with a so long reply first, most people insult us "I am not a kid" "please don't waste my time with so much detail"

So here the long list.
Please tell us what point (what number) is not clear.

1) you must first create the destination anchor; from your text it seems clear that you know how to create the anchor, however it is very simple to insert an anchor. Put the cursor where you want to insert the anchor (where= page/frame, position within the page/ frame; of course the page must exists and you must be within this page) and use Insert >Anchor

2) go to the page where you want to place the link

3) highlight the text that you want to be clicked (when the user will click on that text, he/she will jump to the anchor, with all the page or within a frame, depending on your following selections) and use use "Insert >Special link"

or

3b) right click (click with the right mouse button) on an image (when the user will click on that image, he/she will jump to the anchor, with all the page or within a frame, depending on your following selections) and select "Define special link" from the popup menu

4) from the dialog that is shown (the special links dialog), select (say) the first tab, or the second tab with the anchor option, or any other link that permits to insert an anchor (we can not list all kinds...)

5) now you see a preview that shows all available pages. Select the target page from the left list (or select it by browsing the preview - you can navigate link in the preview). Within the preview that is on the rightside of the dialog, click on the anchor. If you correctly followed the instructions at point (1) the page preview must show an anchor (please notice that this anchor won't be shown to the end user). Then click the OK button.

If this is not clear, or we did not understand you, please try to better explain yourself. Please kindly consider the fact that maybe you was not able to explain yourself, and that we are all humans like you, no wizards here, we can not read your mind.

You may send us an email with images - create some images that show what you would like to obtain, and what you actually obtain, usually this helps. Thank you for helping us to better help you.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2008, 4:03pm by Support Staff » Logged
JLDTifft
YaBB Newbie

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11th, 2008, 11:27am »

Thank you for the courtesy and detail in your reply.  I apologize for being grumpy, but my frustration level with this is out of sight.  This morning I uninstalled and re-installed the software, set up the frames, inserted content in the left hand table of contents, and imported two files which now show up as pages in the *.aeh file.  One file special linked perfectly to the master frame and displays as it should.  The other file special link only displays the file name and a dialog asking whether to save, execute, or cancel, none of which is appropriate.  Both files are *.rtf, both are text only, and they are in the same directory.  I have prepared a sequence of 4 jpgs to show what happens as I try to set the special link.  You suggest I email you pictures, but I can find no email address on this or any other page in the forum.  Please provide an email address that works.  Thank you.

JLD Tifft, fine art photographer
http//www.jldtifft.com
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

how links to file work - link RTF DOC PDF ZIP
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11th, 2008, 12:16pm »

We already replied by email (email address on the HyperPublish website and within the internal help file, I don't copy it here to avoid spammers) but I copy the reply here as it may be helpful for other users.

I see you used links to file (4th tab of the main link dialog). When you place a link to file, a click on the link does normally show the dialog save / execute; it is not an error - the link to file is supposed to do so, so what you are experiencing is the normal behavior. This is intended for people that want to put on the website files that they want to make available for download. For example, a zip archive, a program executable file (like HyperPublish install file, see for example the page www.visualvision.com/software/hyperpublish_e.html ), a PDF file, a document, an ebook.

I believe that you expected another behavior because, sometimes, when publishing in the Internet, the browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera whatever you use...) is configured in order to display the file when a link to file is clicked, instead of starting downloading it - you can test this by using Publish >Browser preview. Maybe your browser will show the file. This behavior (if set) is a property/setting of the browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera whatever you use...) and is decided by the end user (ok, you, on your computer, but, on another computer, you don't know, and no, you can not override the end user setting....).

In case you want to be sure that the content of the file (a RTF file in your situation) will be always shown in a frame (I understand that you don't want it to prompt for the download, in any case), the only way is to create a new page in HyperPublish, then copy and paste the content of the RTF file on that new page (eventually in more than one page in case the file is very long), then you have to create a link or a special link to this page.

Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

differences between import & link to external file
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11th, 2008, 4:51pm »

Thanks to some emails, I understood what was not clear for the user, and I believe this could be interesting for the other readers of the forum.  

It was the difference from an imported page (imported from a RTF file) and a link to an external file (a direct RTF file, not imported).

EXTERNAL LINK
when you create a link 4th tab (link to file) the file is not / has not been imported, just linked = a click toggles a jump to/show of the original document (well, not exactly the original document: a copy of the original document is stored within the HP AEH file on HD or CD and/or transferred to web and it is shown when you click the link)

IMPORT
a import is a local copy of an external document converted/imported into a HP page/some HP pages - the original document is no longer needed once you imported it, so it is not stored

In other words HP distinguishes between:

- internal pages (that you can manage visually, with active previews where you can also browse, all without using files and having to remember file names); you can write internal pages within the built-in editor, or you can import them (or sections of them) with the import menu, or with copy and paste, etc.

- external files (could be RTF pages, or any other file, you manage them by file name)  

When you create a CD or a website, normally you use only internal pages (as explained on Chapter 1 of the PDF manual) that are very easy to manage and to link.
The external links are provided in order to not limit you and to allow you to link to any kind of file.
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2008, 5:10pm by Support Staff » Logged
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

Re: links between frames, link to file, import
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12th, 2008, 6:18am »

imported page = approximated copy of the text document translated into the HP format

embedded file = a exact copy of the document kept in the original file format (the program uses a copy and not the original file, so you are free to delete the original file - and the HP work file, the AEH file, becomes fully "portable" without the need for you to attach / keep track of external files)

some files can not be "imported" and the only chance is to link them as embedded external files.

to see how HyperPublish classifies the different objects, use the Hypertext >Image file link archive and erase dialog
http://www.catalog-software.net/catalog_builder_software/product_catalog _software_00005a.htm
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2008, 6:19am by Support Staff » Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply, or ask/add more Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

VisualVision main Web site
   Easy software tools from Visual Vision:

Visual Vision **User's** Forum (normal) » Powered YaBB 1 Gold - SP1!
YaBB © 2000-2001, XNull. All Rights Reserved.
This forum © 2001-2008 VisualVision and VisualVision Users